Below are two more quick tips for helping children navigate experiences of failure.
Encourage them to try new things
- Trying new things can inspire them and provide new avenues for success. This doesn’t mean giving up on an activity that they have expires failure in. Remind them to keep working through a failure AND to try new things.
Role model failing gracefully
- Show them how to lose gracefully when playing a board game or a sport. Congratulate the winners even when you’re on the losing end.
- Laugh at yourself! It’s no fun to take yourself too seriously and kids know it. Show them that making mistakes and failing can be OK and even humorous at times.
- Stay motivated. When you fail, you can role model resilience by continuing to work through the problem.
- Talk with them about your feeling of failure and about how your worked through a tough experience.